Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an Ubuntu machine that I want to have windows virtualized in with VirtualBox. Is there a specific version of Windows 7 that I have to have so that the license will allow me to virtualize it?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Any commercial license for any version of Windows 7(or any version of Windows) will work just fine.

share|improve this answer
And I believe you can use any version (win7) for 30 days even without a licence. – Nifle Sep 29 '10 at 18:09
I thought that there was more to it, something about an enterprise license or something. – Andrew Redd Sep 29 '10 at 19:14
Badges... we don't need no stinking badges. – SuperJames Sep 29 '10 at 19:58
You can even rearm windows after the 30 days have expired to get a trial period of up to 120 days. – Madison S Sep 29 '10 at 20:01
From "Q: What are the virtualization rights for Windows 7? (That is, which versions are licensed for install in virtual machines by consumers?) A: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate can be installed in virtual environments." – Madison S Sep 29 '10 at 20:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.