Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to set the breaking of line so that the line breaks in the middle of words (to maximize compactness) like:

This is a long word: pseudo-

instead of:

This is a long word: 

Im using MS Word 2010 on XP if that matters.

share|improve this question
Have you turned on hyphenation? It's possible that Word doesn't know how to hyphenate words such as those. You can include soft-hyphens in them to give Word an idea where to break them. – Dennis Williamson Oct 1 '10 at 15:17
Thanks, I guess what I really needed was to know the word "hyphenation" ;) – Theodor Oct 2 '10 at 16:01
up vote 0 down vote accepted

To accomplish this on words not already in Microsoft Word's dictionary, you need to put the word in ALL CAPS. Then go to Page Layout > Hyphenation > Hyphenation Options and enable hyphenation, also check the box for "Hyphenate words in CAPS".

There does not seem to be any other way, as Microsoft Word does not recognize where the syllables are on technical / medical terms such as what you used. Good catch!

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .