Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to replace the Win+Tab key combination with Alt+Tab in Windows 7?

I'd be interested in a way to do so without Autohotkey, but if Autohotkey is the only answer please provide the script.

I would like to replace Win+Shift+Tab with Alt+Shift+Tab as well.

share|improve this question
You may also be interested in an other window switching solution using autohotkey: – Tom Aug 18 '11 at 11:00

In an autohotkey script you can add the line:

LAlt & Tab::Send #{Tab}

When the left alt key and Tab are pressed, it will send Win-Tab to the system.

For some reason, I have yet to get the shift key working (if anyone can explain it in a comment, I'll add it!)

Caveat: I don't have a version of Windows 7 to play with. This was tested on a Windows XP SP3 machine.

share|improve this answer

ALT+TAB is a lot more functional in my opinion.

Anyway, I've not used this myself, as I have never had a reason to, but you could try using SharpKeys.

share|improve this answer
How is this supposed to work? What I want is to have the functionality that is available with Win+Tab when I press Alt+Tab and the other way round. But the Win key and Alt key should work normaly when pressed separatly. SharpKeys does not seem to able to do that – b868727 Oct 6 '10 at 10:13
SharpKeys 3.5 does not allow you to remap Win+Tab to Alt+Tab... just tried it. As to "ALT+TAB is more functional..." it depends on your use case. I use a Mac most of the day for development, but the family has a Windows machine. So I want to remap the keyboard so that I can use the Win key like the Apple CMD key and avoid constantly hitting the wrong key combinations. – JESii Aug 31 '14 at 12:37
@JESii I meant that I find the Alt+Tab task switcher in Windows 7 to be more useful than the Win+Tab 3D task switcher. – paradroid Sep 1 '14 at 12:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.