I have quite a strange issue with (supposedly) my keyboard mappings.
while using GNOME session:
- lowercase 'v' is not working as it should - no keypress is reaching apps;
- while I'm holding V key depressed, gnome-terminal console shows a hollow cursor (just like when input focus is in some other window) and nothing is printed;
- uppercase 'V' is working just fine (that is Shift+V);
- if I press AltGr + V, a lowercase 'v' is printed;
- if I'm typing quickly, sometimes pressing V key to get a lowercase 'v' is not just being ignored, but also the next symbol typed is swallowed and not printed out;
- this issue is present for the USA keyboard layout, as well as for the Russian keyboard layout.
while using TTY console (Alt+Ctrl+F1, etc):
- everything works as it should (i.e. lowercase ' is printed whenever I press it);
- no problems with the physical keyboard.
I haven't done any editing of any gnome/X configs and/or keyboard mappings.
What should I check?
PS. I'm a newbie to Linux (just 1.5 years) - please be explicit in your recommendations. :)
PPS. This is my Ubuntu 10.04 Linux version:
$ uname -a Linux hostname 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:05:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Update - stty output:
$ stty -a speed 38400 baud; rows 43; columns 151; line = 0; intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; swtch = M-^?; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0; -parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts -ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc ixany imaxbel iutf8 opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke