Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

98% of what I download is music, so I set the download location to my music folder. However, the other 2% has no place there, so every time I download .doc files or PDF files I have to remove them. Is there a way to make Firefox change the download folder based on file extension? I'll settle for all non-MP3 files getting saved to the desktop.

I know I can right click, choose Save Link As and pick the download location myself, but it seems like there should be a better way.

share|improve this question

Automatic Save Folder

share|improve this answer
+1 I can't see any solution easier than this.... – CJM Oct 11 '10 at 15:11
+1 for this. You can also filter by domain etc. Very handy add-on. – CAD bloke Oct 14 '10 at 10:43
Interesting, can it be used together with FlashGot addon or it works only with the builtin downloader? – vtest Apr 5 '11 at 21:10
Didn't on firefox 34.0.2 Windows 7 – sidux Oct 16 '15 at 10:53

Again, this is non a Firefox solution, but if you really want to automate where various file types should go from your download folder try Belevedere (see here: ). You can set up rules to automatically send different file tyoes to different folders and tell it how often you want it to "look" - I find it great.

Just a little tip - this had me foxed for a while - once you've installed it and you click on the Desktop Icon it doesn't "open up" -you have to look for its icon in the task bar. You can also tell it to start every time Windows start.

Hope this helps

share|improve this answer

You can always use DownThemAll then use the dTaOneClick function from the download dialog.

share|improve this answer

If you end up not finding a Firefox-based solution you could just make a simple batch script that runs when Windows boots; this would move files from the central download directory to other places based on their extension. It's not instant, but it gets the job done and keeps things organized.

I suppose if you want things organized instantly, you could just run the script periodically on your own or run it periodically using Windows' Task Scheduler.

share|improve this answer

You could use a separate Folder Watcher program such as this (an example not a recommendation) to shift the files as they arrive.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.