Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently have bought a mac book pro and I have noticed there is no home button, and I can't find a hotkey anywhere to make the cursor to the beginning of the line. Am I missing something? Is there a program out there that will help me do this?

This in in the terminal btw.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

In a text editor, you can use Cmd + and Cmd + to jump to the beginning and end of a line.

The command line is a little bit different. If you're using Bash (the default shell for OS X), Ctrl + A and Ctrl + E will do what you want.

share|improve this answer
I think you mean Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E in the terminal. – Matthew Schinckel Aug 10 '09 at 2:26
Thanks. That's what I get for trying to write an answer on my iPhone. – Sidnicious Aug 10 '09 at 18:19
Most Cocoa applications will also accept the Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E keystrokes. – las3rjock Aug 10 '09 at 18:38

Fn + = Home

Fn + = End

Fn + = Page Up

Fn + = Page Down

Command + = Beginning of Line

Command + = End of Line

Command + = Top of Document

Command + = Bottom of Document

Include Shift with these combinations to select all text between initial and final position of the cursor.

(Sometime home and top of document get switched around, it depends on program, but generally the above is correct.)

See also: OS X keyboard shortcuts

share|improve this answer
That doesnt seem to work in the terminal. fn + left just takes me to the top of the buffer. – AdamB Aug 8 '09 at 0:03
Thanks for adding that!! I don't think there is any command to scroll up in terminal :S I just tried in Windows Command Prompt and Power Shell and can not get it to work. I'm to lazy to turn on my linux box for this, but I am pretty much sure it is the same and that you can only do scroll stuff (that I posted above) within any sort of document / entry field other than terminals. – William Hilsum Aug 8 '09 at 0:08
@Adam Bronte - Hold the <kbd>Shift</kbd> key as well and it works for most applications. – Chealion Aug 8 '09 at 6:10
The best compromise I've been able to come up with is binding ctrl + command + left/right to move between words – AdamB Aug 9 '09 at 20:37

The home button for the mac is Fn+[

share|improve this answer

For beginning of line: [Command]+[Left arrow] For end of line: [Command]+[Right arrow] For top of document: [Command]+[Up arrow] For bottom of document: [Command]+[Down arrow]

share|improve this answer
This has already been mentioned by William Hilsum. – bummi May 30 '15 at 8:24
Welcome to Super User! This duplicates another answer and adds no new content. Please don't post an answer unless you actually have something new to contribute. – DavidPostill May 30 '15 at 8:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .