Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a computer that has had some registry issues. I repaired my Windows installation, however I would like to ensure that there aren't any more issues. I read that you can use this method by Microsoft. However, I do not want to use this method unless I know something is still wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a registry cleaner or scanner?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I suggest you never use registry cleaners. If your computer is running fine at the moment, don't mess with the registry. The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit it may have. I recommend you reading this thread from Microsoft Answers. Furthermore, Mark Russinovich's article about "Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life" gives some insight on Windows registry and registry cleaners.

share|improve this answer
I've heard that arguement before. Many people claim that any regcleaner is a scam (ie regcure). I just wanted know about other people's experience with them. I'll check out those links. – bacord Oct 13 '10 at 20:30

You can use Trend Micro HijackThis, it is a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer.

share|improve this answer

I use the simple reg clean that is part of CCleaner. Delete obvious dead stuff caused by updates, but don't get clever or fancy. Since it does' t mess with things that affect booting, it should be possible to restore if you ended up having a problem. I've never had an incedent with that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.