Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The motherboard on my laptop has died, and I want to get some files off its SATA hard drive. I have a desktop machine - is there some kind of housing I can put the hard drive into and then access it via USB?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Nifle, BinaryMisfit Oct 17 '10 at 11:32

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Laptop SATA hard drives use same interface as desktop SATA hard drives. You could just plug it into your desktop computer, if it uses SATA, without the need to buy any adapter. If you don't want to open your computer, there are lots of SATA-> USB adapters. For example this one (first result on Google for "SATA to USB adapter" for me).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.