Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a desktop computer and a laptop; I want to make a network by cross cable. I installed Windows on my desktop PC and installed Windows 7 64-bit on my laptop PC.

On my laptop and desktop computer I set the workgroup, computer name, and IP address. I've checked the cross cable and it's correct.

If I ping the laptop's IP from my desktop PC it works, but pinging the desktop PC's IP from the laptop doesn't work. The icon in the notification area says it's an unidentified network.

What should I do to get this working?

share|improve this question
This may be helpful: – LawrenceC Nov 1 '11 at 22:42

An unidentified network just means that the gateway isn't set on that computer for the current connection; enter a valid one and the issue will be resolved.

In your case put the other computer's IP address as the gateway.

share|improve this answer

Do you know what a crossover cable is supposed to look like? do you know the difference between 568A and 568B? What is the IP that you set on the second computer? It will need to be something like You should have the subnet mask on both set to

share|improve this answer
The difference between 568A and 568B only matters when making own cables, and it's usually easier to just buy one. Besides, most NICs made in the last few years support automatic crossover. – grawity Apr 28 '11 at 8:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .