Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What does the 100BASE-FC mean and what is the answer to the following

  • router and a switch, which is used to connect networks together?

my friend say switch

i say router

well what the difference, some where it say switch used to connect this and that, some where it say router...

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

"100BASE-FC" doesn't seem to exist. Best I can tell it's a 100BASE-FX adapter with a FC connector.

Routers are used to connect two different networks. Switches are used to connect multiple segments of the same network. Routers work at a slightly higher level in the OSI model than switches, which lets them inspect packets more deeply and route them appropriately.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.