This is similar to this question in SF, except that this is happenning on my laptop where my user id is part of the administrators group.
The fonts that I install disappear after a reboot. I need these fonts really badly for 2 reasons: 1. Certain fixed-width fonts I'm too used to for programming/IDE/Emacs. 2. Special fonts for viewing content in indian languages.
Any ideas on how I can prevent this from happenning ?
- Boot-up & login into windows using my user id.
- Install a new font (Goto C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, click
File -> Install new font..., point to location, select
Copy files to fonts folder, click
- New font is installed. It is visible in all applications e.g., in Microsoft Word and GNU Emacs.
- Restart the computer and login into same user id.
- The new fonts installed in step 2 are gone ! They are not accessible in any application.
I checked the following:
- I am using windows XP.
- My userid is part of Administrators group
- In terms of windows permissions (security tab in folder properties) Administrators group has full control over the C:\Windows\Fonts folder
Even after reboot the font files are present in C:\Windows\Fonts folder and I cannot reinstall them. When I try to reinstall I get an error dialog
Only the new fonts I have installed are missing.
- The registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fontsshows these fonts mapped to the corresponding font files.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.inithe value
Fontsis mapped to data
SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts(it was
#SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fontsby default).