I want to buy a printer/scanner combination. My current choice is the new Canon Pixma MG8150, it has good specs and Canon seems to get lots of praise in printer reviews. But my desktop PC has only Ubuntu 10.10 (no Windows as dual boot/VM/whatever) and I don't know how good the Canon drivers for Linux are. I've only had HP before and the drivers worked OK, but I don't like the new HP models.
If you had experience with Canon printers, scanners and/or combo devices before, please share your experience.
- How easy is it to get the device to work?
- Are there functions which are not supported (which ones?)
- How long does it take until drivers support the newest model?
- Who makes the drivers, Canon themselves or is it a community project like the Wacom drivers?
- Where can I get additional info (project page, or maybe a Canon page where I can download them - I looked for one, but did not find it)
- If Canon does not work well under Linux, which brand (besides HP) does?