Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So, when Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 (11) starts doing a full scan, I can see my CPU activity going to 100%. However, the KIS process only takes 02% according to Task manager, how is this possible? When I quit the scan, CPU activity drops to normal.

share|improve this question
    
perhaps the AV scan engine is running as a service ? –  Sathya Nov 1 '10 at 21:27
    
@Sathya why not post it as an answer sine I have in fact found a service. –  BloodPhilia Nov 2 '10 at 8:26

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Perhaps the AV scan engine is running as a service, spawning a child process for the scanning. As @Wil mentioned, I'd recommend you to launch Process Explorer and sort by CPU% when the scan is running, that should give a better idea as to where the CPU is being used.

share|improve this answer
    
Process Explorer seems to attribute about 40% max to the Scan Engine... However the remaining 60% don't seem to show in that nor in other processes... Very odd –  BloodPhilia Nov 2 '10 at 15:47
    
@Blood - Try View -> Show unnamed handles and mappings –  Sathya Nov 2 '10 at 17:02

I cannot say for certain, but if it is anything like other Anti Virus programs, it most likely splits the front end application from the back end scan engine.

Make sure you tick the box (or give UAC authentication) in the bottom left hand corner that states Show processes from all users.

If you still do not see it, on the Services tab, look for the scan engine and right click and choose Go To Process. This should you whatever program is associated with that service.

Lastly, if these do not work, I would advise looking at Microsoft / Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Extra not that helpful lastly, if you are having problems, I would recommend switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. I use it exclusively now and am very happy with it.

share|improve this answer
    
Well I'm not having problems of any kind, I was just curious about why it didn't show the Kaspersky CPU consumption on its process. I'm very pleased with Kaspersky. And I have ticked "Show processes from all users." but still nothing. Also, there are no other processes with that much CPU consumption. Neither the scan engine process nor the front end application process. –  BloodPhilia Nov 1 '10 at 20:49
    
Process Explorer seems to attribute about 40% max to the Scan Engine... However the remaining 60% don't seem to show in that nor in other processes... Very odd –  BloodPhilia Nov 2 '10 at 15:48

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.