Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to go through and change the initials of comments made in a word document?

share|improve this question

This VBA macro will change all existing initials of comments.

Sub ChangeInitialsAndAuthor()
    For Each MyComment In ActiveDocument.Comments
        If MyComment.Initial = "old" Then MyComment.Initial = "new"
End Sub

How to use the macro

  • Open your Word file and press ALT+F11 to open the VBA editor
  • Insert a new module and copy & paste the code above
  • Change old to your old initials and new to your new initials
  • Run the macro with F5 from the editor or ALT+F8 from word
share|improve this answer

You can do it this way but it will change the name/initials used in ALL Microsoft Office products.

Cut'n'pasted from the Office 2007 Help file.

On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click the arrow next to Track Changes, and then click Change User Name

share|improve this answer
But does this change the initials in comments already posted, or just new comments? – user48869 Nov 8 '10 at 5:38
Sorry for the delay, 2007 is only one my home PC. - I've just tried it and it keeps the original initials in the previous comments even after saving/reopening. Only new comments get the new initials. – Tog Nov 8 '10 at 18:41
So I guess its not possible, darn it. – user48869 Nov 8 '10 at 20:55

You must log in to answer this question.