I have a wireless and wired network in my house. My internet access is via ADSL using an Eircom supplied and branded Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 running:
When I work in my home office I use my laptop to connect to the network using a wired connection (I'm wired for gigabit ethernet, the router hangs off this switch).
My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1720 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it has an Intel 5300 AGN wifi interface and a RealTek 8168 PCIe GBE NIC.
Both interfaces have the same static private IP address but only one interface is used at a time.
In the evening I disconnect from the wired network take the laptop into the lounge and connect to my network using wifi. To do this I:
- Unplug the ethernet cable
- Disable the wired NIC in Control Panel -> Network Connections
- Enable the wifi interface.
- Connect to the wifi network using the notification area wireless network widget
This all works fine until I try and reconnect to the wired network in the office. When I reconnect to the office wired network I do:
- Attach the ethernet cable
- Disconnect from the wifi network using the notification area widget
- Disable the wifi interface in Control Panel -> Network Connections
- Enable the wired NIC
At this point something seems to break:
- I can ping all the devices on my private LAN just fine, including the the router
- I can't ping/tracert or connect to any external IP's e.g. 188.8.131.52
To resolve this I basically have to reboot the router and then all is well until the next day when I go through the same routine again.
When I do a
tracert -d 184.108.40.206 the first hop is the router but I get no further than that and the requests time out.
Why would this be happening?