Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Such a basic requirement is not found in any of the menus.

share|improve this question

migrated from Nov 11 '10 at 4:35

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

As an alternative I would suggest Notepad, or if you still want the formatting options go for Wordpad. Both are packaged in any Windows installation, and both have the option for turning off word wrap – keith Nov 11 '10 at 4:42
If you're trying to get Word to word-wrap, you're using it for the wrong purpose. – SLaks Nov 11 '10 at 14:15
@SLaks: Do you want to rethink that comment? – paradroid Nov 11 '10 at 20:51
@​Jason: ​​​What? ​ – SLaks Nov 12 '10 at 1:47
@SLaks: Word-wrap is exactly what you always do want with a word processor, like Word. It is text editors where you may want to turn it off. – paradroid Jul 20 '12 at 22:06

Word holds document text in pages.
Disabling word wrap would cause the text to fall off of the page.

This is not possible.

share|improve this answer

I think what you are looking for is a text editor, not a word processor like Word, which is meant for formatting documents to fit on certain paper sizes.

Notepad comes as standard on Windows, but there are probably hundreds to choose from. Here's a non-exhaustive list.

share|improve this answer

In the bottom left corner are 4 icons. One of them will turn off word wrap just on the page. It will still wrap the text to the screen though. I believe the one to try is the Web Layout, but without 2003 anymore, I can't test

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .