Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using a Macbook and want to scroll to the top and bottom of documents using the keyboard. Is there a keyboard shortcut that does this?

share|improve this question
What is the application you're using to display the document? – Kevin M Nov 29 '10 at 15:23
Danny, you've not made it 100% clear and as such makes it very difficult to answer; Can you please make it really clear if this is for any document, or only for web pages / only Word Processing / only Databases etc? -1 – Dave Jun 5 '13 at 11:25
@DaveRook "Document windows" are a standard nomenclature on OS X, and scrolling to the top or bottom of those usually works with the keys Dennis mentions below, not even in those, but all kinds of apps. I agree the question seems vague but it's not really… – slhck Jun 5 '13 at 20:58

On a Macbook, try fn-LeftArrow for Home and fn-RightArrow for End.

share|improve this answer
This only works in some apps. – miguel May 14 '15 at 20:35
And this only moves focus, not cursor. – Marko Bonaci Jul 29 '15 at 11:56

Sure. Just use cmd-Down or cmd-Up. The cmd key is to either side of the spacebar.

share|improve this answer
everyone says that but that does not work. I don't know why but i have tried it many times – danny Nov 12 '10 at 3:21
Command-up Command-down works on my Macbook, make sure that the page is in focus and not a text area or box. Click on some "white space" then try cmd-up and cmd-down. – Sean Ferguson Jan 25 '12 at 22:43
That only works in browsers. In Finder cmd+up is to navigate to parent folder and cmd+down is to navigate into a folder or open a document. – leymannx Nov 14 '13 at 19:46
This works (e.g. in Sublime). – Marko Bonaci Jul 29 '15 at 11:57

If you hold fn and cmd at the same time, then hit left arrow (scroll to top) or right arrow (scroll to bottom), that should do it.

share|improve this answer
This answer is wrong. Just try it on this very web page in Safari. It will not navigate the web page, but go to the home page (Command-Home) or do nothing (Command-End). In TextEdit, it will just produce the notification sound for unassigned keyboard shortcuts. – Daniel Beck Jan 25 '12 at 22:28
It at least works for Office/Word, which is what one may assume is meant by "Document." – Macsimile Jan 26 '12 at 2:55
Doesn't work in Pages though, so this seems to be specific to Microsoft programs on OS X. – Daniel Beck Jun 15 '13 at 19:25
That's the right answer. @DanielBeck - Navigating on web pages inside the browser is different from navigating in Finder or Word, what I think is the question here. – leymannx Nov 14 '13 at 16:15
@koivo Pages is the word processor from Apple. – Daniel Beck Nov 14 '13 at 20:06

For clarification, this question must be answered twice:

1. For internet browsers (FF, Safari, Chrome, ...), but also for Apple's Pages it's

cmd+ for jumping to bottom and cmd+ for jumping back to top.

2. For Finder, and also for Microsoft Word it's

fn+cmd+ for jumping to bottom and fn+cmd+ for jumping back to top.

Notice: The shorcuts from 1. will work in Finder, too. When you hit cmd+ in Finder you'll open the selected folder or document (same as cmd+O, O for Open). When you hit cmd+ in Finder you'll be navigated to the parent folder. With these two you are able to quiete easily navigate in Finder with just keyboard shortcuts.

share|improve this answer

You need to hold down Fn+Option simultaneously; then to go to the beginning of the document, press the Up cursor as well, while to go to the end of the doc press NOT down, but Right cursor.

share|improve this answer

Try with: Command+Fn+left arrow/right arrow. Worked for me.

share|improve this answer
That one is the right answer, understanding that the OP wanted to navigate inside documents and not on web pages. – leymannx Nov 14 '13 at 16:18

Use BetterTouch tool. I made a really useful shortcut fn + two finger scroll up as END and fn + two finger scroll down as HOME

share|improve this answer
Please see How do I recommend software in my answers? In particular, how would somebody use this tool to solve this problem? You say, "I made a really useful shortcut ...." Don't we need to know what you defined the shortcut to be? – G-Man Mar 14 '15 at 18:28

Just hold spacebar to scroll down and hold shift + spacebar to scroll up.

share|improve this answer
How would this work in a word processing document? – Dave Jun 5 '13 at 11:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .