Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm sure I used to have an application installed that would fade all windows except the one I was working on. Did I imagine this? I've Googled for it a few times and can't find it for OS X (I can find plenty for Windows)

The inactive windows would still display, just darker so the active one really stood out. If anyone knows of such an application that would be very useful!

share|improve this question

Check out Isolator.

Isolator slab

Isolator blur

share|improve this answer
Thats exactly what I was looking for, and I think the one I used to use. Thanks a lot! – Ross Nov 13 '10 at 17:18

My favourite is HazeOver


Get rid of distraction. Let this tiny app emphasize an active window by fading out inactive ones.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.