Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I don't like Chrome's placement of tabs.

Is there any way (maybe through a plugin) to change Chrome's tabs placement, so that it's like Firefox or Safari?

share|improve this question
Where do you want them to appear? – ChrisF Nov 16 '10 at 14:53
@ChrisF He probably means to tabs on top, taking up half the window title bar. – Daniel Beck Nov 16 '10 at 16:50
Like in FF or Safari. – DataGreed Nov 16 '10 at 17:11
@ChrisF Try Ctrl+Alt+DownArrowKey. – Mateen Ulhaq Feb 5 '11 at 3:57
You'll get used to it. In fact, Microsoft's IE9 is adopting a "similar" design (IIRC). I like it this way better, though. It's more intuitive to drag them out of the window (you drag the blue bar for moving the window, the tabs to move out of the window). IMO, Chrome's design is much more appropriate than placing the two "moving thingies" in two different places. – Mateen Ulhaq Feb 5 '11 at 4:00
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It does not seem to be possible (most recent post just a few weeks old). Also, this.

share|improve this answer

DataGreed: On my Windows box, I just click and hold a tab and drag it to a new spot along the horizontal tab-bar. Are you suggesting that tabs should be placed elsewhere than that bar?

share|improve this answer
He probably means to tabs on top, taking up half the window title bar. – Daniel Beck Nov 16 '10 at 16:49
i actually want to place them like in FF or Safari. – DataGreed Nov 16 '10 at 17:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.