Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a cell A and its value is 122abb12.

In another cell B, I want its value to be the value in cell B but all 1 should be replaced by I - value in cell B should be I22abbI2.

What is the function to use in this case?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I believe you are looking for the Substitute function:

share|improve this answer

What you're looking for, is the "replace" function. If cell A contains 122abb12, and you want the 1's to be replaced to I in cell B but keep the rest: the replace function could look somewhat like this: =REPLACE(A1;"1";"I")

share|improve this answer
Sorry for my confusion. I have update my question. – Nam G VU Nov 19 '10 at 10:08
Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood the question. – xstnc Nov 19 '10 at 10:24
Better this time around? – xstnc Nov 19 '10 at 10:29
I'm using excel 2010 and don't have the method's argument list as you mention. – Nam G VU Nov 19 '10 at 12:21
This would work like any other function within Excel. I testet this on a Norwegian version, so it's called something else for me (the translated version of replace). A quick google search, tells me that the function exists and is documented as "REPLACE" in the English version. You could perhaps find it if you press the "fX" button (functions button) next to the input-bar? You will then get a list with the ability to search through! – xstnc Nov 19 '10 at 12:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.