I recently upgraded Notepad++ and I started getting this "ShellExecute failed" error when trying to use the "Edit in Notepad++" context menu feature.
While I found many reports of this error online, none of the solutions that I saw worked on my machine.
Here are the steps I used to resolve the problem:
- Right click on notepad++.exe in the Notepad++ program folder.
- Select the Properties menu item.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- When “Run this program as an administrator” is enabled just for the current user, you can disable by clicking on the checkbox.
- Otherwise, "Run this program as an administrator” is enabled for all users and you have to click on “Change settings for all users” first, then you can disable the option.
I created an image for each of these scenarios and attached them below.
I highlighted "Run this program as an administrator” in both images and highlighted the “Change settings for all users” button in green for the scenario where the option was enabled for all users.