Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hey there, I want to quickly and easily change my referrer to test something...

In the past I know there was nifty little Proxy programs that allowed you to enter whatever you wanted as your HTTP Referrer, but now I understand it's easier just to use the "Modify Headers" Firefox extension... Except I don't know what to enter into the addon!

I can't find any documentation, and the "Open Help" button links to a (pretty much) empty page on Bugzilla!

Can anyone please help, thanks!

alt text

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's easier and more convenient to use an extension specifically developed for that purpose, e.g. RefControl.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, that was much easier! I'd still appreciate some documentation for "Modify Headers", but oh well. – Django Reinhardt Nov 22 '10 at 21:03
Well, I don't have time to completely describe that extension, but try to select "Modify" in combobox, then type "Referer" in leftmost field and your desired referer address in the next one, and press Add. That should do what you want. – whitequark Nov 22 '10 at 21:19

i use it's more friendly

you just need to enable it from the side panel menu (view>sidebar>headertool) and write inside

X-Forwarded-For :

you can get more info at

share|improve this answer

This is pretty old but here is the answer to your question:

  1. Enable/start the addon
  2. From the dropdown menu on the window you show select modify
  3. In the 1st field write Referer
  4. In the 2nd field write your desired referer
  5. Click "add"

Now you should be able to see your new referer below, followed by a green light (indicating an active action.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.