Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an external windows keyboard hooked up to my mac.

I want the ALT (Windows) key = COMMAND (Mac) key
I want the CTRL (Windows) key = CONTROL (Mac) key

How can I do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Open System Preferences -> Keyboard. Click the Modifier Keys button. Select the keyboard from the drop down, assign away.

share|improve this answer
i dont have the option to assign anything. everything is pre-set in the dropdown menu for the 4 select keys. – Sheehan Alam Nov 24 '10 at 18:11
You should be seeing this: What version of OS X are you running? – peelman Nov 24 '10 at 18:34
i see that, but how can i chance which key is caps lock? in that example... – Sheehan Alam Nov 24 '10 at 23:18
I’m doing just that in the screen shot... – peelman Nov 25 '10 at 1:26
The labels represent the physical keys. The drop-down lets you choose what key each physical key will act like. – Lawrence Velázquez Nov 25 '10 at 4:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .