I know there are many media players around but I don't know which one would suit my requirements and frankly I rather ask existing users about their experience than reading pages and pages of flashy specs...
My perfect object of desire has these requirement:
- Must have the capability of having or inserting large capacity hard disks (1TB or more).
- Must have an HDMI out connector.
- Must be able to output at 1080 (Full HD) resolution. If that's 1080p even better.
- Must be quiet when turned on and working.
- Must be able to play all kinds of movie content including FullHD MKVs.
- Must be software upgradable (either directly from the inetnet or via USB stick or similar) so it will be possible to playback future multimedia formats.
- Should be network connected. Preferably WiFi (A/B/G/N standards).
- Should have a nice and intuitive UI.
- Should be available in the EU market (Amazon, eBay etc) that sends to EU members' territory.
- Could have RAID capability of storage disks (so box can as well be used as a robust NAS storage).
- Could have a fast uptime. I prefer a 0 to 5 seconds start-up time to 20+seconds of my current BR Panasonic player.
Did I miss out anything important that a multimedia player should have?
Do you think that buying a media player like Boxee Box + an additional NAS station would be feasible and a good alternative?