Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a MSI k9n6gm motherboard, where the fan's holes aren't really in a square; it's more of a rectangle.

After asking a TigerDirect representative, I tried a fan. It didn't fit and I'm going to get a return/refund.

Now they're suggesting:

  • Masscool 5F9001B1H3 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 939, 940, AM2, AM2+

Since they failed me once, I want to investigate on my own this time. How does one find fans that will fit their motherboard?

share|improve this question
The fan is often bundled with the CPU. – Aki Nov 30 '10 at 8:45

The cooling fans sold apart from cpu (all cpu fans really) are classified by socket type. The socket is the connector of the motherboard to the cpu, so depending of the socket shape and situation of the grips, you need a particular shape of cooling fan. In the specs page of that link you post you can see that this motherboard has a AM2+/AM2 socket type, so you should search for a cooling fan compatible with that.

share|improve this answer
waste of money, heatsink and fan included like this: – Aki Nov 30 '10 at 10:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.