Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I see a lot of "free" stock imagery and vector graphics available on the Internet, but when I recommend such things for use on publications or websites, my clients ask me for printable licenses or any GPL/CreativeCommons declaration, but I find none on the websites themselves.

Do you have any idea whether such "free" graphics are usable for such media? Do I have to declare their source in publications or websites, if I use them outright?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Journeyman Geek, Dave M, Shekhar, Breakthrough, Excellll Aug 2 '13 at 18:41

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question is not about computer hardware or software, within the scope defined in the help center." – Journeyman Geek, Dave M, Shekhar, Breakthrough, Excellll
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 3 down vote accepted

There is no one answer fits all. Read the small print on the websites themselves and if you are unsure, try contacting the site owner.

From your post -

Stock Exchange - and

You may use the Image

  • In digital format on websites, multimedia presentations, broadcast film and video, cell phones.
  • In printed promotional materials, magazines, newspapers, books, brochures, flyers, CD/DVD covers, etc.
  • Along with your corporate identity on business cards, letterhead, etc.
  • To decorate your home, your office or any public place.

You may not use the Image

  • For pornographic, unlawful or other immoral purposes, for spreading hate or discrimination, or to defame or victimise other people, sociteties, cultures.
  • To endorse products and services if it depicts a person.
  • In a way that can give a bad name to SXC or the person(s) depicted on the Image.
  • As part of a trademark, service mark or logo.

Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use the Image

  • In website templates that You intend to sell or distribute.
  • For creating printed reproductions that You intend to sell.
  • On "print on demand" items such as t-shirts, postcards, mouse pads, mugs (e.g. on sites like Cafepress), or on any similar mass produced item that would contain the Image in a dominant way.

Vecteezy - I cannot locate the same level of licence, but I found this page -

share|improve this answer

Both Vecteezy

Vecteezy will not be held responsible for the uses of any the creators of the files you use.

and Stock Exchange

in some cases you may need to notify the artists about using the images and sometimes you need to give credit to them

sidestep any legal responsibilities by referring you to deal with each artist and any peculiar licensing tendencies they may have. I guess the short answer is maybe, but you'll have to contact each artist.

iStockPhoto is so much better about this: you only deal with them and the terms of use are clear. The Standard licensing covers a lot of ground for normal usage, but if you happen to need Extended it can cost $100+ per artwork.

share|improve this answer

(I am not a lawyer). The art from these sites are licensed under the terms that are posted on the sites. I know has the terms listed on the page based on the requirements of the creator. For the others look around.

I looked at vecteezy and it looks like its listed on each page.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .