Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have installed my CentOS machine with the GNOME desktop environment. I would like to change it to KDE. I am already in the process of downloading and installing KDE packages, will that conflict with GNOME?

  1. Can I keep both desktop environments and choose what I want to use?
  2. How can I remove the GNOME packages and not disturb my current configuration in anyway?

I am a new user and hence would like to encounter as little complications as possible, please advise.

share|improve this question
yum install kde ? – Sathya Dec 8 '10 at 5:26
@Sathya - :) I have already installed KDE now, said that in the post too.. more interested in removing the GNOME environment without causing any conflicts or problems. – rzlines Dec 8 '10 at 13:48
OK- you can keep both DE if you want. To remove Gnome it should be yum groupremove "GNOME". Since you have KDE Installed, it shouldn't be a problem - but I've not done this hence I'm leaving as a comment rather than a definitive answer :) @rzlines – Sathya Dec 8 '10 at 15:07
@Sathya - Wondering if I should go ahead and do that? or wait till I get a definitive reply? I'm new to this and I have done a lot of modifications to my setup. – rzlines Dec 8 '10 at 18:12
I'd wait for someone like @Gilles or @Ignacio to reply :) both are quite experienced in this regard :) – Sathya Dec 8 '10 at 18:16

KDE (K Desktop Environment) is an alternative GUI for Gnome, some people prefer KDE over Gnome for some reason since they are basically similar. To install KDE on Centos, use this command on your system terminal:

# yum groupinstall "KDE desktop"


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.