I can't connect to public, unencrypted WiFi at my local public library or Peets Coffee.
Setup: Late 2006 MacBookPro running 10.5.8. I have Parallels installed.
It's supposed to work like this:
- Connect to their unencrypted WiFi network
- Open a browser which redirects you to their "enter password/agree to terms" page.
- Browse normally.
I can connect to the WiFi network, but when I try to authenticate I always get stuck in a redirect loop. It's been like this for a while. Even before I upgraded to 10.5.8.
I never have trouble with encrypted networks or regular open WiFi.
What I've tried:
- Disabling Parallels connections in Network Prefs. Superstition: somehow Parallels installed something in the network stack that's messing me up.
- Pinging the IP address of the WiFi node I'm connected to. I can ping it, it's there, but I still get stuck in this authentication redirect loop.
- Tried different browsers, tried different cookie and security settings. Even tried IE under Parallels. No dice.
- Tried flushing DNS cache.
- Asked library and coffee employees for help. It didn't go well.
What should I be looking for?