Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using Word from Office XP and I want to close the "Styles and Formatting" pane using the keyboard alone. How can I do that?

share|improve this question

In 2010 it is ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+S, but not sure if it applies to your version.

share|improve this answer
Doesn't work. I'd be happy for a shortcut that closes any active pane, not specifically the "Styles and Formatting" one. – Ram Rachum Dec 8 '10 at 17:57
There are ways to edit keyboard shortcuts by going into tools>customize then click on commands tab and rearrange. Not sure if this is a selectable command, but this may get you closer to what you need. Here is a link that describes how to do this -… – Ben Jones Dec 8 '10 at 18:07
I looked at it. There's a ClosePane command which seems like it should do exactly what I want, but I tried pressing its shortcut, Alt-Shift-C, while the focus is on the "Styles and Formatting" pane, and nothing happened! I even tried assigning a different key-combination to it and it didn't help! – Ram Rachum Dec 9 '10 at 11:27

Have a go at this article:

I don't think assign a short cut key applies to the task pane but to one of the Styles and Formatting you want to use that is avaiable on the pane.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .