Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using Word from Office XP and I want to close the "Styles and Formatting" pane using the keyboard alone. How can I do that?

share|improve this question

In 2010 it is ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+S, but not sure if it applies to your version.

share|improve this answer
Doesn't work. I'd be happy for a shortcut that closes any active pane, not specifically the "Styles and Formatting" one. – Ram Rachum Dec 8 '10 at 17:57
There are ways to edit keyboard shortcuts by going into tools>customize then click on commands tab and rearrange. Not sure if this is a selectable command, but this may get you closer to what you need. Here is a link that describes how to do this -… – Ben Jones Dec 8 '10 at 18:07
I looked at it. There's a ClosePane command which seems like it should do exactly what I want, but I tried pressing its shortcut, Alt-Shift-C, while the focus is on the "Styles and Formatting" pane, and nothing happened! I even tried assigning a different key-combination to it and it didn't help! – Ram Rachum Dec 9 '10 at 11:27

Have a go at this article:

I don't think assign a short cut key applies to the task pane but to one of the Styles and Formatting you want to use that is avaiable on the pane.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.