Here's a puzzling problem - maybe somebody has an idea. Right now I am out of ideas.
On Win7 64bit, the following crashes Notepad:
- On Desktop, right click, select "New | Text Document". This creates "New Text Document.txt".
- Right click on that file, select "Edit". This opens notepad with the empty file.
- Select "File | Save as": Notepad crashes and Win7 reports that "Notepad has stopped working".
Now, move the file to
c:\temp and repeat steps 2 and 3: no crash this time and the save-as dialog appears normally. I can create similar steps for the "open" dialog.
Things I have tried:
- Safe mode - does not work, same problem
- Create a new user and try again logged in as that user - no crash
- Name file differently, or create elsewhere and then move to desktop - same problem
- Use Wordpad instead - same problem
- Review shell extensions with ShellExView - nothing extraordinary here
- Stare at the event log entries for each of the crashes. Does not enlighten me.
- At time of crash look at the process explorer stack view. Hangs at a function "TaskDialog".
sfc.exe /scannowrepaired some files but the problem persists.
This is how the event log entries look like:
Log Name: Application Source: Application Error Date: 14.12.2010 00:33:48 Event ID: 1000 Task Category: (100) Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Description: Faulting application name: NOTEPAD.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9b3 Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll, version: 6.10.7600.16661, time stamp: 0x4c6f6e4b Exception code: 0xc000041d Fault offset: 0x00000000000db770 Faulting process id: 0x198 Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9b1e140ab92a Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_fa62ad231704eab7\COMCTL32.dll
What else should I try, short of dumping my user and starting over with a new profile? Thanks...