Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My Toshiba external hard drive is not being detected on Windows PCs, but works flawlessly on my Mac.

File system is NTFS.

share|improve this question
we need more details... – studiohack Dec 15 '10 at 2:39
I bet you must have plugged it first into your Mac? And Mac suggested to format it to its like? And you just did so? – Michael Mao Dec 15 '10 at 2:49

Assuming it's a USB disk you could start by downloading a USB utility like "usbdeview" to see whether the USB controller is recognising a device connected. If not, check your cabling.

share|improve this answer

First you need to ensure that your USB hard drive is being detected by the windows OS.

Open Device manager

  • Start menu --> Right click "Computer --> Click Properties --> Select "Device manager"

View by device connection

  • View | Devices by connection
  • ACPI-x64 based PC | Microsoft ACPI Compliant system | PCI Bus

You should be able to see multiple PCI-to-USB bridges

Search under that and see if you see the "USB Mass Storage Device"

For example, I see:

+ PCI Bus
   + ...
   + Intel (R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
      + USB Root Hub
          + USB Mass Storage Device
              + Seagate FreeAgent Go USB Device

If you see it correctly, then the USB device is detected.

Then what you need to do is to see whether the filesystem is correctly detected.

Open Computer Management.

  • Control Panel | Administrative Tool | Computer Management
  • Storage management | Disk management

You should be able to see it mounted.

Tell us where you can't follow and let us help you =)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.