So, just took an unused HP Compaq T5000 out of storage, originally bought in 2006, so thought I'd power it up and look into how I could repurpose it at home.... except that it wont start up :(
When I put in the power supply, the green LED at front lit up momentarily, then died. Pressing the power button, and press and holding the power button don't do anything. So two things crossed my mind- the first, that perhaps the CMOS battery inside is dead (after all, it was purchased over 4 years ago), the second that the power button itself is faulty.
I have no prior experience with the unit- I'm hoping someone out there with a bit of experience with it can clarify these two things for me
i. Power Button.
The power button seems a little unusual to me, in the sense that its depressed on the left hand side, with the right hand side press-able. So I'm assuming that the power button is press, as opposed to push based, is this correct? (That is, one press powers up, one press powers down with the button depression staying the same as opposed to push in and latch to power up, push in and unlatch to power down). The reason I ask this is that it simply could be possible that the power button is broken.
ii. CMOS Battery
Can a dead CMOS battery prevent boot? There is instructions for replacing the 3v Lithium battery in the user guide, so I'm assuming that its assumed that it will die at some point- I do not know how CMOS fits into the device architecture, so I'm only guessing here.
Looking forward to your advice!