Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How can I use a DVI splitter cable on 1 DVI port?

I have a Dell desktop with an ATI Radeon. The graphic card has a single DVI output and I am wondering if I could connect to it a second monitor to have an extended desktop (not a copy of the main monitor). If I buy a Y-connector will it work or I have to buy another graphic card with a dual output?


share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Gilles, random Dec 20 '10 at 1:44

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

You will need to buy a graphics card with a dual output.

Or possibly a second single-output card...

A splurged will just (I believe) give you the same image on each screen.

share|improve this answer

The Y connector you specified is a DMS-59 to 2x DVI single link. a DMS-59 is a very different connector from a single-link adaptor and is usually used in environment where a small card (i.e. a single slot card needed to support 4 monitor / a low-profile card needed to support 2 monitor).

If you have an display card with DVI interface, a DMS-59 to 2x DVI single link adaptor is unsuitable for your use and is not compatible with your display card.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.