Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How are standard computer fan screws called?

share|improve this question
good q, but best thing may be to not use screws. you can get a bag of screwless fasteners . antec used to do something like it years ago. i see some -not from antec - on ebay. – barlop Dec 26 '10 at 19:41
@barlop I'm aware of advantages and disadvantages of alternative mounting systems, but in this question I do need the screw type. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 23:14 <<< all the info you need on pc fan screws :) – user130542 Apr 27 '12 at 1:38
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Apparently they're 7/32" /5.5mm self tapping screws, though some places say they're 3/8". I'd note given their design, you should have some leeway since the screws cut into the plastic, to use different threads or slightly larger screws.

share|improve this answer

"Plastic thread cutting screws" is the technical name and are not classified other than by diameter and length.

Like wood screws they do not designate a thread per inch like other screws or bolts

I have a small drawer full of them I have salvaged from discarded items, plastic thread cutting screws are handy to have around since most everything is plastic these days.

share|improve this answer
Most fans I've seen are braced using metal screws actually, though I have seen some of those plastic ones as-well. – Eran Dec 26 '10 at 18:31
Some fans don't use screws at all, they use rubber bungee fasteners. Its a broad question. – Moab Dec 26 '10 at 19:09

In most stores and retailers you'll find them exactly under that description.
"PC fan screws", "Case fan screws" etc'.

If this is a more academic question, I'd love, too, know if they have a special type name, but I doubt it.

share|improve this answer
I need exact type and "fan screw" doesn't help. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:37
After doing some research, I do believe that they are from M5.5 series. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:38
Aside from that description, the measurement of the screw might help (height and diameter), unfortunately I don't have one to measure at the moment, sorry. EDIT: glad you found it and good to know (if indeed it is) – Eran Dec 26 '10 at 17:41
I can't get good measurement, because I don' have precise instruments, but after taking a look at one screw, I guess that they probably aren't M5 or similar. Length is around 10 mm and diameter is between 2 mm and 3 mm. I'm also looking at some computer fan datasheets and diameter for hole for the one I'm looking at is 2.5 mm. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .