Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How are standard computer fan screws called?

share|improve this question
good q, but best thing may be to not use screws. you can get a bag of screwless fasteners . antec used to do something like it years ago. i see some -not from antec - on ebay. – barlop Dec 26 '10 at 19:41
@barlop I'm aware of advantages and disadvantages of alternative mounting systems, but in this question I do need the screw type. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 23:14 <<< all the info you need on pc fan screws :) – user130542 Apr 27 '12 at 1:38
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Apparently they're 7/32" /5.5mm self tapping screws, though some places say they're 3/8". I'd note given their design, you should have some leeway since the screws cut into the plastic, to use different threads or slightly larger screws.

share|improve this answer

"Plastic thread cutting screws" is the technical name and are not classified other than by diameter and length.

Like wood screws they do not designate a thread per inch like other screws or bolts

I have a small drawer full of them I have salvaged from discarded items, plastic thread cutting screws are handy to have around since most everything is plastic these days.

share|improve this answer
Most fans I've seen are braced using metal screws actually, though I have seen some of those plastic ones as-well. – Eran Dec 26 '10 at 18:31
Some fans don't use screws at all, they use rubber bungee fasteners. Its a broad question. – Moab Dec 26 '10 at 19:09

In most stores and retailers you'll find them exactly under that description.
"PC fan screws", "Case fan screws" etc'.

If this is a more academic question, I'd love, too, know if they have a special type name, but I doubt it.

share|improve this answer
I need exact type and "fan screw" doesn't help. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:37
After doing some research, I do believe that they are from M5.5 series. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:38
Aside from that description, the measurement of the screw might help (height and diameter), unfortunately I don't have one to measure at the moment, sorry. EDIT: glad you found it and good to know (if indeed it is) – Eran Dec 26 '10 at 17:41
I can't get good measurement, because I don' have precise instruments, but after taking a look at one screw, I guess that they probably aren't M5 or similar. Length is around 10 mm and diameter is between 2 mm and 3 mm. I'm also looking at some computer fan datasheets and diameter for hole for the one I'm looking at is 2.5 mm. – AndrejaKo Dec 26 '10 at 17:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.