I booted my almost brand new laptop running Windows 7 this morning and noticed a red X through the wireless networking icon in the system tray. At first I thought something was wrong, but clicking on it shows a good connection to my wireless network. I had no problem getting here to post this question. I'm very new to Windows 7 so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this myself. Is there an actual problem here? Can I fix the icon so it doesn't falsely display an error (I assume that's what the red X means)?
Here's what I know:
- I can get here to post this question.
- There's at least one unsecured network available that I'm not connected to.
- I can see a bunch of wireless networks, presumably from my neighbors' houses.
- There are no other computers turned on in my house right now.
- The device manager shows no problems with any devices.
- I can ping my default gateway, DNS, and yahoo.com with no problem.