Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I Have a two desktop computers, where one has an usb wireless adapter and the other does not. I was wondering that is there some kind of software, where I can connect the two computers with ethernet cable, and allowing the other desktop to have internet connection. Is there some kind of software that allows this to work?

share|improve this question
what OS are you running? – blsub6 Dec 31 '10 at 21:15
The one that has the wifi adapter is Windows 7. The other I'm planning to put a linux distro on it. – AfterschoolHobbist Dec 31 '10 at 21:31
  • Have the Windows 7 computer with the WIFI adapter receive its internet access via wireless.
  • Have your Linux computer connect to your Windows 7 computer via an ethernet cable.
  • Enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the Windows 7 computer.
  • No configuration needed on the Linux box - you should be good to go!

How to enable ICS in Windows:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.