I'm planning to build a server to do the following
- Act as a file server (videos, pictures music)
- Run Squeezebox server
- Run Zune Software to allow wireless syncing to Windows Phone 7
I'd also like to aim for
- Low power usage (i'd settle for less than the 90-100Watts I'm using atm
- Flexibility, I might want to add a web server or sharepoint or...
- Something I can learn/test on, work is mainly a Windows shop but I do have Linux experience too
- I'd like to take a look at App-V (application virtualization) too
- I'd like it to cost less than $1000
- Quiet would be nice but not essential (it'll be in the basement)
I'm thinking of getting a technet subscription to get access to Windows Server 2008 R2 at a reasonable price ($199) So my plan was this
- Get a bunch of 2TB Caviar green drives to RAID up (RAID 1 or 6 probably)
- Get a Quad core CPU (Intel i5/i7 probably)
- Install a Hypervisor
- Install w2k8 R2 Storage Server for a NAS
- Install Windows 7 Pro to run Zune/Squeeze box
- Install any other machines I want to play with
- Can anyone see any issues with this or have any better ideas?
- Do you think I'd need an i7 over an i5?
- Is 4 cores enough/too much?
- Can anyone sugest a nice, reasonably priced case that will hold 6-8 drives and stay cool
- Should I wait for Sandy Bridge parts?
Ok so after a lot more research I'm thinking I'll go with this, total cost ~$1300 CAD taxes in What do you think??
- 1 x Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT
- 1 x Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel
- 2 x Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3GBPS 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive
- 1 x OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
- 1 x ASUS P8H67-M Evo mATX H67 LGA1155 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 PCI Display Port HDMI Sandy Bridge
- 1 x Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge
- 1 x OCZ FATAL1TY 550W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 80PLUS
I'll run the VM(s) on the SSD for performance and use the Caviars for backups and media files