Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I change the active space while taking the active window with me?

In Gnome, I can press Shift-Ctrl-Arrow to move virtual desktops, bringing along the active window.

I'd love the functionality to be the same in Mac OS X using Spaces, any ideas?

share|improve this question

SizeUp offers this feature.

It's not possible without third party software, not even Hyperspaces does it, surprisingly.

share|improve this answer
Sizeup did exactly what I want, but I have to warn others that it pops up an alert every few minutes of usage unless you buy the software. – Eric Hu Apr 11 '12 at 19:03

Unfortunately, there's no keyboard-only shortcut (AFAIK). However, if you click and hold the window you're trying to move and then use the keyboard shortcut you have assigned to the Space you want to move the window to (typically Ctrl+2 or whatever the Space number is), that will do what you're looking for (move the window to the chosen Space and make it the active one).

Source: Move windows to Spaces via keyboard shortcut Desktop

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .