Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i have a photo and i want to put a "frame" around it so i can paste as a layer into a larger image and have it look like this was a photo frame hanging on a wall

is there any easy way to do this?

share|improve this question
Spend some time learning how to make and manipulate selctions, as you will never get anywhere with Photoshop otherwise. There are loads of books, online tutorials and YouTube videos. – paradroid Jan 16 '11 at 12:19
@paradroid - thanks for the tip, but that doesn't really help me with this question – leora Jan 16 '11 at 12:21
Maybe this will then: Seriously, spend a few days with a book and you'll be amazing yourself by next week. Once you know the Pen tool and Curves, you'll be hardcore. – paradroid Jan 16 '11 at 12:55
In GIMP I do it by growing the image without scaling and making one side of the frame then copy pasting it several times...paradroid has a point though. – RobotHumans Jan 16 '11 at 13:05
It would be better if you actually included an example otherwise you're just shooting for air – random Jan 19 '11 at 6:08
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is a simple method:

Just resize the canvas (by adding x amount of pixels to both the width and height of the canvas) while keeping the image centred, then save the image. Saving the file joins the image and the blank canvas surrounding it into a single layer.

You may want to ensure the default canvas colour matches what you want for the border colour, or simply use the paint bucket to fill the blank area after saving the file.

Once you're happy with the above outcome, select all of the image, and past into your secondary image.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.