Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a dynamic IP address and I don't want to change it every time I connect to the Internet. I want to get a static IP address; what can I do?

share|improve this question
Why do you want a static IP ? Contact your ISP & tell them you want a static IP – Sathya Jan 16 '11 at 14:46

If you're talking about your WAN IP, you need to contact your ISP. Otherwise, you could use a dynamic DNS service like No-IP, if the problem is it being consistent.

If you're just talking about your LAN IP, some routers allow you to lease based on MAC address, or you could just go to Network Settings, right click your adapter, Properties, IPv4, Properties and change it to an IP address within your LAN range.

share|improve this answer
i would recommend doing a price up on both of these options as in my case no-ip was cheaper by a long shot – MrDeanosupreamo Feb 23 at 3:59

To get a dynamic IP address on your LAN, simply assign your address statically within the LAN subnet, but outside the IP address ranges configured by the DHCP server - ie if your LAN range is netmask, with a gateway of and your DHCP server is set to allocate IP addresses from the range to, configure your computer to use, netmask, gateway - For nameservers either use (Googles nameservers) or (most home routers act as nameservers as well) (Alternatively If you have a fancy DHCP server you can dynamically assign a static address)

Getting an externally accessible IP address is somewhat harder, and, I suspect, what you are after.

The "correct" way to do this is to ask your ISP for one. If they are unwilling to oblige, you could find a "Low End Box" / Virtual Server, configure OpenVPN on that along with NAT, connect your network to it and then use the Low End Box IP address. Alternatively, you might be able to find a VPN provider who will do this for you (but I could not find one with a quick Google search)

An alternative would be to shift to IPV6. If your provider won't give you a static IPv6 allocation, you can use an IPV6 tunneling service to get one - the major limitation here being that the side you are connecting from needs to talk IPV6 as well.

A Dynamic DNS provider is, as others have suggested, a convenient work-around to many static IP address problems (but certainly not all, for example working with places with firewall rules you need to get through)

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .