Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've just bought new a keyboard and there are no drivers, there are some special keys mapped to some actions like switch to desktop or play/pause media player. I need a software that intercepts these actions and assigns them a different action. Does anyone know a solution?

Thank you for help.

share|improve this question
Operating System? – Daniel Beck Jan 16 '11 at 18:16
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Here is a tutorial on how to remap keys in Windows 7 using SharpKeys:

share|improve this answer

I prefer KeyTweak (for Windows systems only) because:

  • It's easier to use
  • Shows you what's being generated

I've tried both on my Samsung laptop because it seems to be generating the same scan codes for both Enter and NumEnter and I have software that uses them differently.

share|improve this answer

Also consider AutoHotkey -- free and incredibly versatile, although its scripting-only interface can make it a bear to use.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.