Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have three partitions: a boot partition, a general partition with Windows installed and BitLocker active and a third partion, unencrypted.

Can I install Linux without reinstalling Windows from this setup? Or will this corrupt the boot partition in a way that BitLocker can no longer be used (and I consequently lose access to the main partition)?

share|improve this question

You install linux in this situation , just make sure that you install the grub boot loader onto the unencrypted partition. Also keep in mind that you can only access your bitlocker drive from within windows.

share|improve this answer
My fear is whether this can possibly corrupt the (unencrypted) boot partition so the windows partition is no longer available. – Artefacto Jan 20 '11 at 5:32
Didn't work; just butchered my boot partition, like I expected. I installed grub onto it, and when I select the Vista bootloader it just returns to the GRUB screen. Restoring the partition from backup now and hoping it'll work... – Artefacto Jan 20 '11 at 7:30
OK I dd'ed the partition back... I guess now the question is how to install grub so I can boot again to linux and still be able to boot to windows. – Artefacto Jan 20 '11 at 7:36
I'm gonna give this a try:… – Artefacto Jan 20 '11 at 7:42
As I said you should have installed grub onto the un-encrypted partition not onto the current boot partition.If you install it on a partition other than the current boot one linux will pick up that windows is installed already. Also all this is based on your distro being ubuntu ,since i havent tested it on other distros – RC1140 Jan 20 '11 at 11:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.