New system build, new components, Windows 7. Detail build below.
- Complete system freeze/lock - no mouse movement, no keyboard lights, everything on-screen freezes - no blue screen of death. Requires complete hard re-boot.
- System is FINE when cold - survives ~10 minutes, then the freezing begins. I keep thinking heat/hardware failure.
- After warming up, freezing happens early, often in the boot process, or Windows log-in process.
- Occurs within Windows recovery (from disk), within Safe Mode. Does NOT lock up in BIOS set-up mode, regardless of how long I stay there.
- Replaced Motherboard - still crashes
- Replaced Graphics card - still crashes
- Replaced hard drive - still crashes
- Removed hard drive - crashes when running on DVD only.
- Reinstalled Windows 7 - clean build - still crashes
- replaced DVD - still crashes
- Tested memory - checks out ok.
- Ran on single stick of memory (1 of 3). Crashes regardless of which stick I use.
- Have disconnected most other stuff.
- monitored temperatures - no spiking - fans on CPU, Powersupply, Graphics card, and the box all seem to be running fine.
- Power supply seemed to be registering normally when I monitored it, but not 100% sure.
- Updated the BIOS - didn't matter.
- Have set the memory in default and over-clocking mode (per the manual) - crashes continue in both scenarios. Have not modified other BIOS settings.
Have not replaced power supply or the CPU, minor cables, keyboard, mouse. I've been thinking hardware failure... but now I'm wondering if it is something else? Ideas?? Next to replace is power supply, but I'm not hopeful.
Intel i7 950 3.06GHz, ASUS Sabertooth x58 MB, Patriot memory XMP 3x2GB DDR3 PC1600, ASUS EAH5670 1GB GDDRH5 graphics card, TR2-600W Thermaltake Power, LG Blu-ray, 1TB WD SATA HD (I'll have to dig up the model), Windows 7 Home Premium OEM, Microsoft Office 2010, Norton 360, no other software installed (clean install).
Could there by a systematic incompatibility, something that swapping in the same component will yield the same failure? Other BIOS settings? Drivers – having been able to update much because of the failures, but very little is installed.