Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Western Digital External Hard drive My Book 500Gb USB2.0

I accidentally put in my laptop power adapter (19V) instead of the Western Digital adapter (12V) so I most likely have fried my power board. I know I can remove the hard drive and put in into a PC, but I only have a laptop. So, I'd really love to repair it.

If the power inverter board has failed - how do I replace it? I have searched for the part number (p/n 4060-705002-001rev.a) but haven't found it.

(P.S. Also it would be good if the new designs had a unique shaped power plug on the WD adapter to prevent this sort of thing happening)

share|improve this question
As others have suggested, buy a new hard drive enclosure, remove the drive from the old enclosure and put it in the new one. – Moab Jan 26 '11 at 18:05

you can buy hard drive cases as well. They are pretty cheap ($20-50) and you probably can do this yourself.

share|improve this answer
Yeah good idea - but have never seen them... I will need to ask around. – Ken Bateman Jan 26 '11 at 8:37
There's a few on ebay (…), but I don't know the size of your hard drive – Enrico Susatyo Jan 26 '11 at 9:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.