I'm currently using Outlook 2007 (under windows 7), but I much prefer free software (open source being the best of course), so I thought I'd ask for expert advice here.
I thought it might be easier if I included a small "wanted list":
- I receive about 15 to 30 e-mails every day, but I have large archives (>10'000 emails), which I frequently need to access.
- I usually open and close my mail program many times, so I'd like it to start pretty fast
- I cannot use an online mailbox, because I have too many email addresses (about 5: 1 for work, 1 for home, 1 semi-private, 1 for specific emails, and 1 for newletters
By order of importance, the things I'd like my mail client to be able to:
- Efficiently categorize e-mails. Until now, I've mostly been using Outlook folders, because filtering by tags was not easy, but I'd rather one large list of mails, neatly tagged so I can easily filter. I'd love being able to select mails by tags (eg in a click or too (could be a tab) show all mails tagged with "software")
- Create "tagging rules", such as "if the mail was sent to this address, add this tag", or "if the body contains ..., add that tag"
- Sync contacts with Gmail, handle tasks (syncing with toodledo would be awesome), possibly provide a calendar
- Create e-mail templates, signatures...
Other ideas: A timeline, scripting support, being able to import MS Outlook emails, provide a nice backup format...
Thanks for sharing ideas and suggestions!