Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The i5 sandy bridge processer (recall aside) has built in Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 graphics. I simply would like to know what motherboard supports this (e.g. has video ports to utilize the cpu integrated graphics)? I tried to search for this but am unsure what keywords to use. Thanks.

share|improve this question

It is a chipset dependency. The high-end boards (with P67 chipset) don't support the built-in graphics, as users will presumably buy a separate graphic card with them. The mainboards with the H67 chipset support the built-in graphics. So if you shop at a seller who lets you filter for chipset, you can find it easily.

I think that it is theoretically possible for somebody to build a board with the H67 which doesn't support the integrated graphics, but I haven't heard of it happening. However, there will be a lot of H67 mainboards coming to the market in the next months, so make sure to check that the board you have chosen has a video output too. Both together - H67 chipset and the presence of a video port - should be enough.

An example of a H67 mainboard would be the MSI H67MA-E45 (a MicroATX board). It supports the Sandy Bridge graphics and offers HDMI, DVI or VGA output.

And on a side note: if you are in the market for a new mainboard, make sure it has all the legacy slots you need. Lots of manufacturers start phasing out PCI this generation.

share|improve this answer

for sandy bridge you can either get a P67 or a H67 chipset motherboard. The H67 chipset has support for the cpu's HD graphics (the same logic goes with the 1st generation P55/H55)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.