Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

How to merge the E drive with the unallocated drive without loosing data in E.

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 9 '11 at 4:24

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

Look here:… – user3463 Feb 9 '11 at 5:18
"Unallocated" is not a real partition, just empty (unallocated) space, so you don't need to "merge" anything - just extend the E: partition. – grawity Feb 9 '11 at 14:51

I would use a GParted live cd. GParted is free and works.

Here is a link to a tutorial for using gparted live cd on windows partitions.

I used this same method on my wife's computer recently to accomplish almost the same thing.

If all you have on partition e: are files you shouldn't have to repair the system when you reboot. If all goes well it should be a quick fix.

share|improve this answer

To resize the partition, use GParted.

An easy way is to get Ubuntu, put it on a CD or USB pen drive, boot it, and use Partition Editor.


Partition Editor:

There is also a GParted live CD you can use:

share|improve this answer

AFAIK, you can't. You could do it if the unallocated space were "behind" E (by extending E). Unfortunately you're in the opposite situation. So the only way is to backup E, destroy E, recreate a larger partition, name it E and restore the contents.

share|improve this answer
Is it possible by using 3rd party software like "Partition Magic". – Gopal Feb 9 '11 at 4:33
Yes (defunct) partition magic can "Move" partitions. It can automate the tasks I've described. – Alain Pannetier Feb 9 '11 at 4:39
Definitely backup E, first. – aqua Feb 9 '11 at 5:12
Couldn't he extend his D drive? That way he could make use of the space. – Mugen Aug 12 '11 at 8:59
@Mugen, my answer is wrong. Gparted does this kind of shift very easily. Since this outdated post, I've done similar things and it does work. I'll delete this "shameful" answer in a while ;-) – Alain Pannetier Aug 12 '11 at 9:10

Do Not use Partition Magic.

Do use Partition Wizard.

I've recommended this solution to many Win 7 users.

I've used Parition Wizard to do exactly what you ate trying to do.

Burn the iso to a CD and boot from the CD.

Win win 7 you can burn an iso to cd/dvd by simply clicking on the iso file (as long as you haven't changed the default assignment for iso files).

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .