Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

How to merge the E drive with the unallocated drive without loosing data in E.

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 9 '11 at 4:24

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

Look here:… – user3463 Feb 9 '11 at 5:18
"Unallocated" is not a real partition, just empty (unallocated) space, so you don't need to "merge" anything - just extend the E: partition. – grawity Feb 9 '11 at 14:51

I would use a GParted live cd. GParted is free and works.

Here is a link to a tutorial for using gparted live cd on windows partitions.

I used this same method on my wife's computer recently to accomplish almost the same thing.

If all you have on partition e: are files you shouldn't have to repair the system when you reboot. If all goes well it should be a quick fix.

share|improve this answer

To resize the partition, use GParted.

An easy way is to get Ubuntu, put it on a CD or USB pen drive, boot it, and use Partition Editor.


Partition Editor:

There is also a GParted live CD you can use:

share|improve this answer

AFAIK, you can't. You could do it if the unallocated space were "behind" E (by extending E). Unfortunately you're in the opposite situation. So the only way is to backup E, destroy E, recreate a larger partition, name it E and restore the contents.

share|improve this answer
Is it possible by using 3rd party software like "Partition Magic". – Gopal Feb 9 '11 at 4:33
Yes (defunct) partition magic can "Move" partitions. It can automate the tasks I've described. – Alain Pannetier Feb 9 '11 at 4:39
Definitely backup E, first. – aqua Feb 9 '11 at 5:12
Couldn't he extend his D drive? That way he could make use of the space. – Mugen Aug 12 '11 at 8:59
@Mugen, my answer is wrong. Gparted does this kind of shift very easily. Since this outdated post, I've done similar things and it does work. I'll delete this "shameful" answer in a while ;-) – Alain Pannetier Aug 12 '11 at 9:10

Do Not use Partition Magic.

Do use Partition Wizard.

I've recommended this solution to many Win 7 users.

I've used Parition Wizard to do exactly what you ate trying to do.

Burn the iso to a CD and boot from the CD.

Win win 7 you can burn an iso to cd/dvd by simply clicking on the iso file (as long as you haven't changed the default assignment for iso files).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.